Thursday, April 30, 2009

New St. Vincent - "Actor Out Of Work"

St. Vincent's debut album, "Marry Me" was one of my album highlights of 2007/08, if only because the title was a reference to one of my favourite TV comedies, Arrested Development.

Obscure references notwithstanding, "Marry Me" was a beautiful and outstanding album; I've found that the more albums I listen to, the more seemingly fleeting moments in a song make or break it in my mind. St. Vincent's use of an old microphone to give that radio sound is something I hope I never get tired of.

Her new album, "Actor", is due out in May, and the first single, Actor out of Work seems to indicate a decided turn towards a bigger, rockier sound. I'm a fan - it's a short, sharp and sweet tune. And I don't mind the fact that the accompanying video clip disturbs me.

MP3: St. Vincent - Marry Me

No comments: